May 9, 2009

The Machado Family

Vô Ribeiro and Vó Cotinha! Their 50th anniversary!


Last week in Tupaciguara,my hometown, a great event was performed by the Machado family. It was our 2nd great reunion. The first one was in 2006 and I was there to enjoy my aunties and uncles and cousins that I love so very much! Oh God they are the funniest ever! Unfortunately I couldn’t go this time.

According to Zezé, a cousin of mine and the reunion organizer, Márcio my nephew will be the 160th member in direct line of Vó Cotinha and Vô Ribeiro, our grandparents. (Vó is short for vovó and it means grandmother. Vô is short for vovô and it means grandfather in Portuguese). My father is/was the youngest male and the first one to go...

My grandparents, paternal ones, had 9 kids and those 9 kids multiplied good!

We are that kind of family that visit each other often, go to birthday parties of the 5th or 6th generation and we call them cousin, because they are cousins of course! We know their full names, we know even the in-laws of the cousins.

I was blessed enough to have all my aunties, uncles and 1st generation cousins very close to me, physically and emotionally when I was growing up! During the time I lived in Tupaciguara, my home was in the same block as my grandparents and this was the best thing that could ever happen to me. I will never forget the flavor of Vó Cotinnha's meals. I will never forget the sound producing by my Vô Ribeiro making butter from scratch. I will never forget... So many delicious memories!

My relatives, especially my aunties, they made my childhood unforgettable! In a bunch of 6 aunties and 2 uncles you can find every type of personality but if there is something that link all of them it is their comic vein! It's impossible not to laugh really good when joining they companion or when they are all together! They are so funny and they love to embarrass themselves in a naive, agreeable way that is so unique! They are really the best!

I got few pics from the last reunion and I mixed them with pics from passed ones. It was a very enjoyable experience for me, to mix those especial moments in my life!

Well, we are just great in every single sense!



Sons, daughters, sons-in-law, daugthers-in-law and great-grandkids
of my grandparents

Sons, daughters, sons-in-law, daugthers-in-law and grandkids
of my grandparents

From left to right: Uncle Joubert and his wife auntie Maria,
Uncle Didin and his wife auntie Teresinha,
Uncle Milote, Auntie Amélia,
Auntie Hortência and Luci, my mother.


Reunion 2006
From left to right: Auntie Ione, Auntie Amélia, Uncle Milote,
Uncle Waldemar and his wife auntie Aparecida,
Uncle Didin and his wife auntie Teresinha, auntie Hortência,
Auntie Maria and her husband uncle Joubert and Luci, my mother


Reunion 2006
Almost everybody!

Reunion 1984! My grandparents 60th anniversary

Reunion 1974! My grandparents 50th anniversary.
My grandparents and their grandkids and great-grandkids

Reunion 1975! My grandparents 50th anniversary.
My grandparents and their kids and sons/daughters-in-laws


My father's siblings are:
- Auntie Nida,
(she passed away 12 years ago)
-Auntie Amélia
-Auntie Aparecida
-Auntie Ione
-Auntie Teresinha
-Auntie Hortência
-Uncle Milote
-Uncle Joubert

9 comments:

N said...

That's one huge family! I'm very impressed.

Anglo-Libyan said...

lovely family, I especially like the picture with the uncles & aunties sitting, priceless :o)

lets hope inshaAllah you make it for the next reunion, have a good day

NuNa said...

me 2 v a big family, wen we went n our grandfather's farm took picz like that i v 20 aunties and 12 uncle and more than 80 cousins . i was amazing dayz
thanks 2 made me remember these dayz

Living Away said...

hey bluefish!
yeah, we are a huge family and we get along good!

thanks anglo! you are always so sweet! oh yeah, i do hope that as well. inshaAllah i'll be there next time.

NuNa thanks for stopping by. wow, that's a lovely family. may Allah bless you and all those aunties and uncles and cousins!

andrea said...

delícia!!

Living Away said...

delícia ne déa! e ce sabe exatamente a extensão dessa delícia!

beijos

Analog Girl said...

É tão bonito ver a família a crescer! A minha também é gigante, mas infelizmente já há muita perda de contacto, tanto por zangas como apenas pelo passar do tempo.
Ainda bem que tem uma família tão unida assim! Nada como tanto amor para crescer feliz.
:)
beijo

Hajar Zamzam Ismail said...

Aw, I'm sorry you could not be there! I know you would have enjoyed it tremendously.

Living Away said...

oi jo!
voce sabe que as aparencias se enganam aos que odeiam e aos que amam como diria a brilhante elis regina!
mas no fritar dos ovos a familia machado e unida sim e muito querida!

oh i would for sure hajar. i do love my aunties and uncles very much. they are crazily the best!