December 15, 2008

Feeding America

Today an order from amazon.com arrived, yeah more books, and for the first time I got some flyers adverting philanthropic organizations.

Usually those flyers are about new books or discount coupons but this time it was about hunger in the USA.

What called my attention on this one I posted below, was not that 1 in 8 United State people doesn't have what to eat, but how it increased in 6 years.

When I was living in Blacksburg, VA, I used to listen to public radio and I remember how surprise I got when I heard for the first time that people were suffering for not having what to eat in the USA. It was a real shock for me, because I never thought that this society problem was present also in rich-organized "1st countries". I really thought it was a topic from developing countries only!

So, back there the statistic showed that 1 in 4 people were struggling with hunger and now it is 1 in 8 as the non-governamental organization Feeding America shows and I'm not surprise at all, unfortunatelly.

Thank God things are changing and I do hope that those unfortunate people can get not "just" a full plate of food but a job, education and their dignity back!

1 comment:

Fida said...

Unfortunately that is correct. And I am not sure that will change soon. More people than not work 2 - 3 jobs to be able to feed their families, here in Canada too. I don't know the percentage, but too many people work for minimum wage - even if you have a good education. And the problem is that the worst food is cheap, and so the overweight problem continues to rise. What I don't understand, though, is, that most people have huge lawns, which have no purpose at all. Most of them could plant their own veggies, organic at that, but don't.