December 16, 2008

Chinese Torture

When Brasil was facing a dictatorship, the term "Chinese torture" became well known among those who were considering enemies of the state or labeled as subversive.

It was very well spread and for mere morbid curiosity I read about this sophisticate and highly well developed psychological tortures that the Chinese created to be as painful as the human body can resist! It is based on the almost infinite repetition of single move, sound, word, and even laugh!

Unfortunately I don't have a better word to call what is happening in my home since 7:30AM than Chinese torture.

So far I'm being torture for more than 8 hours uninterruptedly and it is really driving me crazy already. I really don't know how people resist to that for weeks!
I already called the front desk of the building asking them to stop that music and noise and the answer I got was that the noise for more than 8 hours uninterrupted is necessary to fix the speakers.

Speakers? Yes, speakers! I have no idea why there is a speaker inside each apartment as you can see in the pic bellow. This speaker "speaks" extremely loud and usually very early in the morning making me very scared. Every single time I'm awake by this noisy noise or I'm surprised in the middle of the afternoon by someone talking inside my home, that by the way is a very silence place, I feel I'm into 1984. 1984 is a novel by George Orwell where the population is observed by the government 24/7 and from where the term "big brother" came out.

I'm not complaing in vain, I'm really not. It's one of the most annoying sensations I ever tried in my life. I really don't like it and worse, it really scares me to death!

So, for almsot 9 hours now I'm being "distracted" by Taiwanese music and/or someone speaking without stopping in my living room. The music didn't stop for one second and sometimes someone speaks over it. I already closed the door of my office, put an earphone and nothing can make this noise to at least disturb less.

I'm trying to finish writing a proposal, but it seems impossible. And I also got a headache along with it and there is no Advil that can help me out.

I'm just wondering what they want me to confess...and to be honest, I can confess anything to stop that Chinese torture over my mind!


The living room and the speaker, above on right corner!

The speaker!

4 comments:

JC said...

Le, you didn't say what is the basic purpose of the speakers...

JC said...

Maybe these are provided basically to cater to some emergency condition which might arise at any moment...

Living Away said...

hi jc!

i have no idea what is the purpose of that speaker. it has no regular time to go on. sometimes the whole week is a constant noise, sometimes it doesn't speak for months.

i already thought about it being an emergency thing. every time i hear it, after i get my breath back, i always run to the windows to see what is going one and i never saw any different move.

i'll ask again the front desk tomorrow morning what is the purpose of the loud speaker!

warm hugs, uncle!

Fida said...

Wow, I didn't know the firesmoke detector (looks exactly the same here in Canada) has speakers built in for warning purposes - makes actually sense. Not in my building, though. I really hope they will fix that soon.