May 27, 2007

May, 21st

For 27 years I have suffering for the death of my father and I don’t get used to that. I just can’t! He was my best friend and he accepted me the way I was what really meant a lot to me. We had a very good and clean communication, we didn’t hide feeling or things from each other, but I know he wasn’t just my best friend, he was mainly my father and I always respected him as my father and not just as a friend.

He passed away in a motorcycle accident on May 21st of 1980. Since this fatidic day I have watched a movie with 3 days of duration every single 20th, 21st and 22nd of May. It seems that my mind knows exactly the time to press play and the movie begins, making my life without my father even more miserable. I use to try to distraction myself from those scenes I have still very fresh in my memories, but I know each detail of those 3 days of my life and I can’t get away from them. I even don’t know if I really want to get away from it…

I was the only one in my class who had both paternal and maternal grandparents. I used to be very proud and privileged for having them with me while my classmates couldn’t share this blessing. My classmates envied me for the relationship I had with my father and they didn’t hide it at all. I was in high school and I had changed school that year. I always attended public school but my mother insisted that I needed to go to a private one and the one she chose was a nun’ school what was very reputable in our town. Well, it is until now and my nephew who never student in public school unfortunately is attending that same one now.

Anyway…I had no friends there and I felt very alone. Alone but even there people knew my father was the coolest one and some of the student used to call me not by my name, but by Nilo’s daughter what I really loved! I had one great friend there who was son of our family’s doctor and who shared my father’s name. Nilo, the friend, had a Brad Pitt smile, sparkling eyes, a very sharp sense of humor and we got along very well.

One of my memories is about my family forgetting me at my father’s funeral cortege! I got myself sat on the sidewalk with Nilo who was very upset because he had bought some candies and chocolate on May 19th and asking the owner to of the shop to charge my father’s expense account! Poor Nilo, he was really upset about it! Well, Nilo committed suicide 2 years ago and it hurts deeply now and always will!
It’s impossible for me to disassociate this sad story to my fate this fatality!

As I said I remember every single detail, but some scenes are stronger that others. One thing I can’t forget is about my huge will for singing one song called “Bandolins” (Mandolin). I remember how guilty I felt for not be able to stop sing this song.
I really remember everything, even what I was wearing, what I ate, who came to visit us, who went home…the feelings, the facts, the smells, the noise, the silence…

I know for sure that I’ll never get out of this pain…the pain of not having my father around.

On May 21st of 1980, I found out that every thing in this earth is ephemera and uncertain. I found out that nothing is more important than having my beloveds ones with me! I found out that it takes less than 1 second to put life upside down!

I miss my father every single day. I wish I could talk to him as I “always” did; I wish I could be in his lap saying what is in my heart, in my dreams…
What I miss the most and what is the most painful and beautiful memory I have is about him explaining to me about the choices I had! He used to show me the both sides of almost everything saying…now you know your choices. You will decide what to do and don’t forget that you will be responsible for the choice you make. If what you choose doesn’t work out in the way you think so, I’ll be here with my arms opened waiting for you!

Oh God I miss him and all what he means to me!! I miss the feeling and the security of having a place to go after the choice I made doesn’t work out! My father was my guiding light in security and without him I fell lost in a dark! I really do! I felt lost not in a dependable way because being independent was the most valuable lesion I learned from him, but in secure way. It’s always wonderful to know for sure you can go back!

I know I need to work the death of my father out and get over it, but it’s much stronger than I am! A line was cut in a terrible moment and it wasn’t fair! Who am I to doubt or defy God, but daughters couldn’t lose their fathers in their teenager years. It isn’t fair!

For 26 years I have feeling really miserable in this time of the year, but this year it was different because I had the opportunity to talk about this pain I carry in my heart for so long, with someone who really listened to me! Talking and knowing that someone was really listening to me could appease my pain very much!
I’ll never thank you enough for being so wonderful, so present, so carrying, so kind and so attentive with me!!

Thank you Lindo, Thank you very much!

9 comments:

JC said...

Leandra,
May God bless your father's soul! As per 'Hindu Philosophy' he might already be born in some good family where his need was felt more!

I wish you had read Gita, a copy of which you had already bought as you informed earlier...

Also, it is for your information too that my third daughter, Benu, who herself was born on 23rd May, '71, is blessed with a son on the 18th May, 07!

Best Wishes!

Analog Girl said...

A minha mãe também morreu o ano passado, após uma luta de 10 meses contra o cancro (cancer). Dois anos antes, o meu avô, pai dela, tinha também lutado contra a mesma doença sem sucesso.
Eram as duas pessoas mais influentes da minha vida e que mais me ensinaram e mais amor me deram. E tão rapidamente desapareceram da minha vida.
Eram eles que me faziam sentir segura e ouviam os meus problemas, medos e inseguranças.
Sinto a falta da minha mãe todos os dias, especialmente porque agora tenho de ser forte e tenho de ser a principal figura feminina em casa.

Estou muito familiarizada com esse sentimento, e assusta-me que o tempo nunca vá preencher essa tristeza vazia e esse buraco no coração.
Ainda bem que pode desabafar a sua dor, acho que nunca estamos verdadeiramente sós quando temos amigos a quem confiar a nossa alma.

Um sorriso muito grande para vc.
:) **

Noblese said...

Leandra,
God be with you and give you patience and strength. May God rest your dad's soul. And be sure that he lives further in your heart and in all your memories.
Keep well!

Living Away said...

Dear JC!
I miss you! Thank you so much for coming back!
In a wonderful way, our families walk side by side sharing many facts! I do love those beauties of life!

I read Gita, but it must be studied not jsut read!
What I really like is how fault is treated!
As you know I'm from Brasil, raised in a catholic family and that means that "fault" guides you all your life long! It's too heavy!!

Happy birthday to you daughter Benu!


Querida Analog!!
A palavra compaixao explica essa nossa identidade com as nossas dores!
A nossa dor e imensa e nunca passara; ela se acomodara e nos permitira acordar todos os dias e seguir nosso caminho...

Tenho certeza que a sua querida mae esta muito orgulhosa de voce minha amiga!
Uma coisa que eu aprendi com essa dor e que eu posso nao ser forte se assim eu decidir. Que eu tenho direito de sofrer, de chorar, de ser fraca e de pedir ajuda! Descobrir isso me ajudou muito!

Um beijo melado de chocolate pra voce minha querida!!


Dear Noblese!
Thank you so much for your words, your attention and your care!
It means a lot to me!

Giselle Machado said...

Nossa!
Seu pai foi uma pessoa que sempre ouvi falar. Sempre ouvi falar bem. Sempre ouvi falar com saudade e da forma unica q tinha de viver.

Fiquei emocionada de ler tudo que voce escreveu!

Desejo que mais que a dor da perda, a alegria, os ensinamentos e os bons momentos que tiveram juntos, te facam feliz a cada dia!

Tenho certeza que seu pai nao gostaria de te ver triste. De te ver sofrer. Eu so ouvi falar de alegrias e brincadeiras por parte dele! Nao te conheco bem, mas certamente vc eh capaz de eternizar a semente da alegria q ele deve ter plantado em vc!

Bom, abri seu blog so para dizer que o mundo eh pequeno mesmo. E para dizer que fico feliz q vai ter visita nos proximos meses! Eu tb! A Desiree, tia Geisa, tio Luciano, Tuliane e Laisa estao vindo!

Quero muito te encontrar! So devo ir a Suica no proximo semestre! De qualquer forma, me avise se tiver planos de vir para Amsterdam!

Beijos

Giselle

Anglo-Libyan said...

sorry for being late.

I lost my fater in 1993, he was visiting me here in London then he got very ill and died in my home.
I feel that you can never get over the death of a loved one, you just learn to live with it. you know after all this time I still havent looked at his pictures and a video we made just before he died, I keep them with me but still cant look at them.

I hope inshaAllah that you learn to live with it as well but I know that he will always be with you and in your thoughts and I do not think that this is wrong.

Anglo-Libyan said...

on a lighter note, I like the counter showing the count down to your family's arrival (1 day to go).
how cute is that :o)

JC said...

Hi Leandra,

Thank you for good wishes on Benu's birthday!

You are right. It is not easy to forget painful events. Even a loss of some money itself, for example, gives pain. And, human life is priceless.

However, it is like a natural phenomenon that one takes death of some unknown person in some remote corner of the globe lightly, while loss of a close relative or friend is unforgettable...time believably is the best healer.

Best Wishes.

Karen said...

Um postagem muito lindo Leandra. Com certeza o seu pai esta te accompanhando estos dias.