November 16, 2006

Almost anything

What I like the most about Switzerland is
the facility of getting out of here…

I have the urge to see life, since
I can’t see almost anything anymore…


05:23 PM, from my balcony

hypnotic state

It's poetic, I need to admit it!

12 comments:

que sera sera said...

wow! is it like this most of te time in winters?

Anonymous said...

Was it Victor Hugo who said, "L'hiver vous n'etes qu'un vilain." (?)

N.B. (Please don't mind, I haven't learnt how to put accents!)

Unless they are obliged to remain in high altitudes in India, generally old people, who can afford, spend severe winters with relatives in the plains, if they have the facility.

Living Away said...

Que Sera Sera, unfortunately for me, a woman from the tropics, it is not like that almost all the time. It gets a lot worse. In this part of Switzerland where I live, we get 5 months long winter with just dark sky, cold days, very cold days and freezing days!!!
The good think is that I love to take pictures of the contrast between the very dark trunk with its empty branch and just in the wintertime I can found this scenario!


JC, what a synchronicity!
When I moved to Besançon, France, as soon as I got there the winter started and one day I was complaining and my teacher made me a card with this poem.

I’m sorry, dear JC but it is not from Victor Hugo, but from Charles d'Orléans! According to my teacher, it has a modern version by Maurice des Ulis, but I don’t know anything about this author!

This is the original version by Charles d'Orléans:

Yver, vous n'estes qu'un villain

Yver, vous n'estes qu'un villain,
Esté est plaisant et gentil,
En tesmoing de May et d'Avril
Qui l'acompaignent soir et main.

Esté revest champs, bois et fleurs,
De sa livrée de verdure
Et de maintes autres couleurs,
Par l'ordonnance de Nature.

Mais vous, Yver, trop estes plain
De nege, vent pluye et grezil;
On vous deust banie en essil.
Sans point flater, je parle plain,
Yver, vous n'estes qu'un villain !

And this one is the modern version by Maurice des Ulis:

Hiver vous n'êtes qu'un vilain

Hiver vous n'êtes qu'un vilain
Eté est plaisant et gentil,
En témoignent Mai et Avril
Qui l'accompagnent soir et ma(t)in.

Eté revêt champs, bois et fleurs
De sa livrée de verdure
Et de maintes autres couleurs
Par l'ordonnance de Nature.

Mais vous, Hiver, trop êtes plein
De neige, vent, pluie et grésil;
On vous doit bannir en exil.
Sans point flatter, je parle plain
Hiver vous n'êtes qu'un vilain!

Anonymous said...

I worte a comment earlier and don't know where it went :)

5 months of winter would make me depressed. We have winters for hardly a month or 2 here at College Station, TX.

I really like your pictures. I would love to paint a few if you allow me to. I will let you know which one.

Living Away said...

Of course you can dear.
Please tell me which one you want and I'll be more than happy to sent it to you!
Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you!! I will let you know soon.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Leandra for the poems! It is over 35 years ago that I came across the poem when I attended French language classes at the Alliance Francaise in New Delhi.

My parents hailed from the hills in India, and they lived for 16 years in Simla, where I was born, but the family then moved over to the plains when I was just two years old. Later, I have experienced severe cold for just less than two years in the hills, with my own family, where my wife unfortunately got afflicted with Rhumatoid Arthritis...

Living Away said...

I’ll be available for you anytime, Que Sera Sera!!

Dear JC…
I’m sorry for your wife!
I was born without the thyroid gland and I have a huge problem with cold places. I do need to take care because I can get rheumatoid arthritis easily!!

Anonymous said...

Do take care please. I wish you all the best! I read a lot about medicine after that and learnt that in 75% of the cases it is the female that is likely to be affected by Rheumatoid Arthritis - and also more in cold and humid climate. It however doesn't apply to all born under a particular Zodiac sign.

Analog Girl said...

Sem dúvida que o tempo frio faz mal, agrava problemas de ossos, e até psicológicos, etc...
Mas acho tão lindas as suas fotos! É fantástica a beleza do Inverno...o ideal era passar a estação inteira numa casa quentinha, com muitas mantas, filmes e chocolate quente com torradas.
:)

Living Away said...

Thanks dear JC! I'll take care!!

Analog, eu gostaria muito de poder ficar o tempo todo quietinha com meus livros, discos e um bom chocolate quente. Sabe que eu ate tenho esse privilegio!!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Leandra, You are welcome to get in touch from home or on your return from there.

Best Wishes!