October 20, 2006

The proudness of being who I am!


I got back from Stuttgart last night after being humiliated again by the Swiss Army at Schaffhausen Germany-Switzerland border crossing. This time I didn’t have any guns around me, but I was privileged enough of having a policeman just for me. I love my life in this fair and free country called Switzerland, where everybody is treated equally no matter your nationality, or skin color!!

This time the policemen were so educated as everybody else here that and I felt deeply that he didn’t want to upset me saying why he was taking out my car seats and looking all over it with a spotlight in his hand, under a lamppost with a very power lamp on.

The polices kept me there for about 45 minutes, standing up in a room while my handbag was being completely empty and turned on its reversed, having its sewing line being stretched. Maybe they were checking the quality of a Beneton’s bags. Also this polite policeman opened my nécessaire, and each one of my creams jars! Even my mascara was checked. I’m so happy to have somebody so preoccupied with the quality of the beauty products I use in my skin.

Then I felt sorry for him! I think that he got jealous, poor thing. He got my sunglass leather case, opened it and asked in a very instigating way: “Why you have a original Ray Ban sunglasses?” I looked at him and I felt pity on my heart and I replied him saying that I wasn’t answer that question. Well, who knows, maybe he had some passion or love disillusion with this brand and I didn’t want to upset him more.

Also he asked me why I was in Frankfurt and then in Stuttgart! See, how nice he was? He was really upset with my well being/stay in Germany. He got so into my trip that he even asked me to show him the airport parking ticket! My heart got so happy this time that I almost gave him a “thank you kiss” for watching my steps in other country like that. I guess he found out that all my family is abroad and I was missing some maternal preoccupation, don’t you think?

After that he was questioning me why I didn’t have any luggage! I just smiled at him… he was amazed for sure, thinking how come a woman travel without any luggage!!
But what really impressed me was his ability to disassemble my car in about 45 minutes. He took the plastic container-protection of the internal lamps so easily. I guess he was checking my cleaning skills, since he passed his Swiss finger all over it and looked at it so closed with his spotlight. Thank God it was clean enough to have the pleasure of living in this spotless country!

Then he saw a H&M plastic bag and he took all out. I got in Stuttgart 2 black underwear, a béret and a pajama. That part I didn’t understand since H&M is a Sweden store. Well, he took my things out and asked me why I got them in Germany and not here in his beloved country. I think he got upset with the new Swiss banks police, that started returning some of money from third country’s corruption that were safe here. The Swiss banks got upset with their reputation and now they decided to return those billions euros to the countries where it belongs by right. So, I think he asked me that just to try to help the economy here moving and alive. Fair enough, hun!
Wow, I almost forgot the most interesting part. This policeman checked my reserved tire as well and every single corner of its place in the back of my car. If I knew that my car would pass for that capricious security inspection, I had missed the official car revision that is very expensive!! I do think that the policeman made a much better job than the body shop here in Baden!
How come those Swiss people could be so efficient in their jobs!!! It’s amazing!

So, after all those polite actions with me, the policeman gave my passport with my resident permit and asked me to live, wishing me a very good night. I looked at him and I said that I was having a very good night until he started searching all over my car. He gave a fake smile and said thanks as he had done a good job! I replied saying that fortunately he wasn’t welcome and I started driving!

I needed to be ironic here! All those pre-judgments I have being on in a country that United Nations is settle just make me feel stronger and stronger. I never felt preconception like this evident before in my life and I’m thinking seriously about enter with a formal accusation against Switzerland at United Nations, Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, Rights of Migrants!
I have lost and my faith at United Nations for many reasons , but I must take some actions and there is no other place to go, besides UN!

Oh God! Until when the world will keep believe that Switzerland is a dream place to live? Until when this mask will cover faces like this policeman? Where did this policeman find any right to treat me as a drug criminal?

I felt a very strange and powerful feeling in my heart when I figured out what was going on in that border! I was being treated as I were a criminal or even a nothing person, but I felt a very powerful energy in my heart. I felt strongly what I already knew for sure: I’m very proud of being a South-American/Brazilian woman, I’m very proud for having yellow skin that I inherited from the Kadiweu indigenous nations, which my great grandma belonged to, I’m very proud of being from what people used to call third world country as well.

This faith I have in my past and in my history say to me that there is no policeman in the world who will turn me down whatsoever!
Arbitrary attitudes like this one I was victim last night just increase my proudness of being who I am and from where I am, Brasil!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Leandra,

It is the 'turning point' in the modern History, popularised as 9/11, that is behind the apparent 'fear of the unknown'...

The Gita says that all 'wrong actions' are results of lack of knowledge, and that the Creator alone is the 'Supreme knowledge'..."To err is human..."

The ancient 'wise ' Yogis in ancient India had come to realise each, egoistic, mortal or transient human form as the abode of a component of the one and only immortal and yet humble Formless Creator! Some even exclaimed, "I am Him!" ...And the Christian saying (St. Matthew), "Blessed are the meek...etc," also communicate the same realization in the once upon a time West...

Best Wishes!

Living Away said...

Dear JC Joshi, what makes me very sad is the judgment even before I comment the crime!
This superior’s look I get every single time I need to cross Swiss border coming home makes me, even for some minutes, the most-nothing person ever.
My father taught me that, we human beings, we must be treated equally without any discrimination of color, faith, race, and so on…. And every time I’m coming home I got the opposite of my father’s teaching! That hurts deeply!!

Anonymous said...

Yes, Leandra, that's the problem with us humans - we are very poor judges, (and hence the saying, "Judge not, that ye be not judged.")

I can't read the face, which believably is the 'index of mind' of apparently another individual - a faculty which is much more evolved in certain animal forms even...For example, a dog, reading fear through your body language as a sign of danger to itself, attacks you/ barks at you!...

What your father told you apparently was his personal thought in an ideal scenario, which the ancient "Hindus" credited to Satyuga or an era when "truth" prevails - a time related phenomenon, which believably can't be expected from all today when we are in Kaliyuga, i.e., the time when human efficiency believably drops 'naturally' to near zero, or maximum 25% of the available unlimited potential if God so wills at any time and any place!

Analog Girl said...

Switzerland is a good place to live... as long as you never leave it!!
That's awful, they see somebody somewhat different and they get all suspicious...
Forget it Leandra. If you always remember who you are, nobody can get you down.
;)