August 21, 2006

Zentrum Paul Klee

Some days ago I went to Bern, Switzerland’s capital, to visit the “Zentrum Paul Klee”! After visiting the Zentrum I want to downtown to get a coffee and I took some pictures. I tried to visit Einstein’s house but it was too expensive and I rather not going this time. Maybe another day!

The Zentrum Paul Klee is a pretty new museum that had its doors opened to the public in June 2005 and it was design by Renzo Piano, the same architect who designs “Centre Pompidou” in Paris.

Paul Klee, one of the most important Swiss artists, was born in Münchenbuchsee, just north of Bern, on December 18, 1879. He joined the expressionist circle
Der Blaue Reiter, The Blue Rider, and also he was a professor at the famous Bauhaus school in Germany, alongside Kandinsky and the architect Walter Gropius.
This Zentrum, created to honor this great artist, holds over 4,000 of his works, but unfortunately most of them are still keeping in the conservation department/storage of the building and not open to the general public.

According to one of the millionaire sponsors, this building was also design to became a children’s museum, and it has special rooms for children’ arts display what is very good indeed, but I didn’t see any children there for a period of 4 hours that I stayed inside it. Moreover, on the sponsor’s speech on the foundation stone and/or opening ceremony he made very clear that it was a children museum and again, there were no children on both ceremonies.

Anyway, even though Piano has an international recognition of his works, and this museum has a beautiful design; particularly I don’t like the whole concept of it. As a museologist I think his design “try” to compete with the museum’s art works and not embrace them as a primary function in a building specifically design to be a museum.
I do think that nothing is much important in a museum of art than its art works themselves and that’s for sure.

At Zentrum Paul Klee, I watched a video about the conception and construction of the Zentrum, and the architect himself makes very clear that his design is an innovation in architecture’s world.
Please, give me a break!! Just look at one of Oscar Niemeyer's works below and we can see how innovate and original it is.

Cute passage at downtown of Bern

Enjoying summer before it ends

Einstein’s house

Some works from Paul Klee and the artist himself

Zentrum Paul Klee


A little and simple comparation

2 comments:

Noor Al-Amal said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Noor Al-Amal said...

Hi dear. you have great blog. i found you in LIBYANO blog. well, i found you long time ago, but what happened that i was busy and i didn't get a chance to visit your blog again. i did visit your blog, but i didn't put a comment for you at that time.
sorry for that.

have a nice day :)