August 27, 2006

Left and arrived

For love I left my city, my state, my university, my jobs, my friends, my family, my philanthropic work, my political party, my relatives, my house, my country, my career, my…
I lost a lot of things, but also I gained another ones.


This huge solitude I’m going through right now is just a consequence of some of those things I have lost, as my ability to think I’m able to do everything I want as I use to do before. And why I lost that ability? Because I was trapped! I was trapped so many times in the United States and here in Switzerland that I’m losing my will of fighting for the things I really want. I think I entered twice in a line of “sabotage”!

Among many things I have wrote about, I think what really bothers me is that I learned all my life that everybody deserves the same treatment and a good one, doesn’t mattering if this person is the president of a country or a guy who does the cleaning.
For this reason, I got tired of being treat as a person of third category and tired of seeing immigrants being treat so badly with a smile in their faces!
I was not accepted at gynecologist office, at hair stylist and even at gym with the poor excuse that they just get old client and not new ones. Come on, give me a break? How come they business survive in a place of less than 20 thousand people?? They are not alone here! Definitely, I’m not used to that.

Also I got tired of this mediocre and hypocrite “first country” called Switzerland where foreign people have the plates of their cars marked with a higher number to difference Swiss people from us; us equal nobody! This is a pure and solid apartheid act!
I’m tired of being judge by the color of my passport! I’m tired of being judge and condemned even before I commit the crime! I’m tired of paying a very high price as a result of the incompetence and disorganization of Swiss people and their bureaucracy! (Look at this past post if you are interested to know why all this happened to me)

I can’t stand that. Worst, I will complain about that to whom? To United Nations? Where? In Genève? Pretty funny, they will heard my complains, yes sure!

When I was told that I was moving to here I was walking in clouds. I was really happy with the new beginning, new life, new home, new culture, new everything. This "be in peace with Switzerland" lasted for like 1 year or so and it started deteriorate when I found out that Swiss "never" makes a mistake and doesn’t matter how wrong they are they don’t take it back and if for like a miracle they do is just to show how superior they are!
I got tired of this air of superiority, of this pre-conception about develop countries and many other things that happens every day.
My complete dislike for this country is not something that I developed gratuitously! I do have my reasons!

Well, I thing I got too far with my feelings for the “neutral country” and I forgot the real point of this post.

I left and I arrived many times from many places for one unique reason: love!
I think I have no other conclusion besides: I’m pretty sure I could do everything again!

6 comments:

Noblese said...

Your post has left me speechless. Don't know what to say. I am also a foreigner, and as such treated as a non-Swiss. I won't say which class because it varies. I remember once, I wanted to do 'volunteer' work in an elderly home and wasn't accepted ... maybe my name, language, looks?! I just believe one should do the best out of it.

Jayashree Bhat said...

Thanks for visiting my blog...
Discrimination happens everywhere, I guess...I was shocked to read your post, though.

Anonymous said...

I so much feel ur pain.
Born and raised in Paris, moved to Zurich in 2003, I felt like I was treated like an illegal alien. Your story at the swiss border (I guess in Basel/France) is exactly the same as mine except that I had passed a year and could not drive in switzerland with my french passport. I was driving a swiss car. But how many times I was treated like shit at the Basel train station border coming back from Paris. HOw many time either the swiss authorities in Zurich, the canton's police gave me a hard time just because I am french (I am french - algerian). Just because I was running on the HB to catch my train and missed it, I got checked out, because apparently the police thought I stole the ticket and ran away. Man I did curse them in french that Day. NO german or sth esle, I did call for racial profiling. The funny thing is they were acting as if they did not understood french til I showed them my french ID. Seriously I hated them and hated the Zurich mentality. People are so arrogant there (swiss of course). HOw dare you are with me, I am from the best city in the world. I only c zurich as a place for rich kids and cultureless people. U do not need money to be rich in culture. Anyway we moved to Lausanne, and I love it. The language makes it different I guess. NO more swiss german attitude with me. Do not get me wrong, here swiss feel still a bit superior but I do know how to slap them in there face. Speaking the language helps I guess. But also, never let them put u down. They treat me like a foreigner, I am and act like one. Get the best out of this country, f* them for the rest. Anyway, hope u will feel better...NH and DP

Angkrit Ajchariyasophon said...

Thank you to visit my blog
you're my first guess who leve the message.

Anonymous said...

My daughter says that I go off tangentially,
Like her seven-year-old daughter!

The other day I performed an experiment.
I ate an apple in front of a mirror.
It appeared as if my image enjoyed eating it
Whereas I was sure it was I who relished it!

I then wondered that if I am God’s image,
Could it be that actually He was eating it?
Whereas foolishly I thought it was I!

Maybe the ancients were in one sense right
That the food we eat reaches our ancestors!
And the wise said, "I am Him!"

I wonder if it is only a question of mental attitude...

Jannah said...

It's amazing how we could leave everything for "love"... I hope over the years, that the love you left everything for would be grateful and fill in all the spaces that were full before.

Your post left me thinking and hoping that you'd see better days in the future in this new country you're in.