August 27, 2006

Baking time


When I’m feeling homesick, I like to bake some of my family’s old recipes. This simple and prosaic act makes me feel closer to my roots, to my folks that are in Brasil.
This week I have talked a lot to them and it is simply a magic moment to me! Many important good things are happening to them and my way of “participating” is by cell phone messages and/or phone calls what make me feel close and distant from them at the same time!


Every time we get together at my mom’s house... well, my brothers are there almost every weekend, she uses to bake a very tasteful cake and a flan, called by us Brazilians as pudim, that have an indescribable flavor!
Last afternoon, I got more homesick than usual! So, after I finished cleaning my house and lighting some candles to make it even cozier, I looked at my kitchen’s cabins to see if I had all the necessary ingredients to make a cornmeal cake and a pudim. I love the sweet smell of freshly baked cornmeal cake that spreads all over the house, bringing me wonderful childhood memories!

Well, you can see the result of my baking afternoon here! The cake was delightful and I had it with a cup of Brazilian style-Brazilian coffee!
It was a great way of spending time in the beginning of a raining night!

The pudim is almost as good as my mother’s! I’m tasting it right now…

By the way… I just noticed that the last time I had a conversation, face-to-face, with somebody that lasted more than 30 minutes… it was in June!



Pudim

Cornmeal cake

No comments: