May 1, 2006

Vó Maria

Vó Maria

This elegant lady is my grandma Maria. She passed away exactly 2 years ago, 20 days after her 85 birthday.
Even thought I had the opportunity and the privileged to be in her companion all my childhood and adolescence and many years of my adult life, she became my real grandma only some years ago.
I can explain that: I’m a very emotional woman, cancer with cancer in my astrological ascendant. I adore touching people, and I hugging and kissing even whom I meet for the first time. In fact all my family is like that except my mother and her mother who is the grandma…Well, my grandma got another personality! She wasn’t an emotional-sentimental-touching lady and I never understood this just as her personality. I, in my selfish world, understood it as rejection since I saw her showing affections to some of my cousins many times.
I could understand her love and her care in a strange and lovable way not too long ago, unfortunately… and I just felt her as my grandma after this epsode.

I want to thank her for all things that she did for me and that I just found out about it years before. Her wise-simple and pertinent words just change my relations with my mother and subsequently with her in many aspects. Thank you so much, Vó!

Well, she was a very active woman until my grandfather, her husband, passed way in the 80s. After that very thoughtful moment for all of us, she gave up living her active life and became just an old lady who doesn’t think for herself anymore. I never got that!
My grandfather was a very influential political person in his hometown and in his state. I learned to like politics with him, although we were completely against each other. I’m a socialist and he was a capitalist. I’m left and he was extreme right and so on. However all those “contraries” don’t erase or diminish the strong influence that he had on me and in many ways!

My grandma’s house was always full of all those important politicians who arrived at her home for long meetings. She was very respected by them not just as a wife of a brilliant and rich man, but she was respected by her thoughts and I really admired that. She had intelligent opinions and many times she disagreed with those men strongly. I loved to hear all the argumentations.
She was a very opined woman, but she wasn’t a talkative one… she knew what to say and when to say it with all her undiscussable wisdom. When she opened her mouth… wow, we stopped talking amd a powerful silence was heard. She was always right.

Some of my cousins and me believed that she was eternal and when she died we felt lost, completely lost and some of us, felt even betrayed by God. We felt as we had lost (in fact we are still feeling this way) our mainly guidance, our connection with each other.

Vó Maria, you always will be our guidance. Without you, we are lost souls.
Thank you for being my granma!

3 comments:

Hajar Zamzam Ismail said...

Beautiful!
I love old people, they have so much wisdom to share with us.

sume said...

Truly our lives are blessed by our grandparents. I'm sure she passed on much of her wisdom to you.

Living Away said...

Thank you so much dear HAJAR and dear SUME for your so sweet and caring words!!!