November 15, 2005

Climbing to the moon

Georgia OKeeffe Ladder to the Moon 1958


I’m in a process of re-find myself as I said before! It is hard because sometimes I think that I lost or I left many things that are important to behind.

My past is so present in my mind, in my heart in my skin and I think that I don’t want to get over it. Why get over? I don't have anything else to embrace me? The present looks so gray, as the Suisse sky. And my future… well, I don’t think I have one!

At the end of last year, I was the happiest woman alive. I was accepted as PhD student here in Switzerland. Wow, I will have my own life again, I will work harder then ever to do a very good job, and so on… those were my thoughts back then.
Well, until now I don’t know what happened. I “talked” by e-mail with my ex/future adviser twice and then he disappeared. That’s true! I went to his office 3 times and I stayed there, by his office’s door for hours, and hours. Nobody was there. Once I talked to one of his students and I left a message. Never replied.

One year, one whole year passed. And I’m here Waiting for Godot!
And the worst! I was accepted in Barcelona as well, and I gave up!
I had two options, now I don’t have any! Good hum!?
I don’t know what to do, I don’t know what to think anymore! I wanted that PhD so badly. It is, better, it was my life, my expectations for a bright future, my chance to show what I learned all these years of hard study. I got nothing now, nothing…

Do you know when you need to fill up some form? Oh! I hate that! It is so cruel, and it wants to know everything in its time and in the fastest way possible. And then it is there, one question urging for your answer: Profession!
I got a BA in Art History and Museum Studies, and I had worked with that long time ago. When? Last century! I said long time ago! Can I still write that donw as my profession?

Other question even worst is when you meet some friends or colleagues that you haven’t seen for long time and then it goes. "What are you doing?"
No, I’m not doing anything! I got dumped, discharged, discarded by a professor that I never had the chance to meet in my life!

How can I glue my life together again? How? It is hopeless!
Why every single thing in my life needs to be so complicated, so frustrating?
There is no easy way for me!

I feel climbing to the moon, using my father’s ladder...

Take care!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi Leandra!
waw- i read back your entries and just got so absorbed-- even though i live in ny i've traveled a lot and lived in a few different places that now i feel like home (ny) is really away from home!

first i was thinking, switzerland is supposed to be lots of fun! but than i read the part where you say you're from Brazil. OHHH! of course nowhere on earth is more fun than Brazil! i have friends there (rio) and i know that Brazilians out of their country can get real nostalgic...

but at the same time my friends found a way to have a crazy time in the middle of nowhere midwest! i'm sure you will find your way too! i'm looking forward to hearing about the journey!
abrazos!!

EarthCitizen #23 said...

Climb to the moon, but don't forget the enjoy the starry view!!
Our past can hold so much, and we can savor it like fine wine or guzzle it like an alcoholic and get drunk on all the ''spirits'' present in it's content..
To live the Eternal and Ever Present NOW it the task that we all need guidance in day to day.
I too have the issue of when someone asks what are you doing,, because in America you are DEFINED by your 'work'...
Well at the moment, I am not, I am defined by my 'joblessness' such a malady in the present form of civilization...
Definitions given out between the hours of 9 to 5 only and Monday to Fridays.
I am finding another Way.
It's Possible.