Dr Zilda Arns, a lifetime dedicated to helping children in need.
Dr Zilda Arns, 76, pediatrician and sanitarian, was the founder of one of Brazil's best-known non-governmental organizations, Pastoral da Criança, Pastoral care for Children. She traveled last week to Haiti to attend a missionary meeting, according to Dr Arns's press office. She was over there to teach methods for fighting malnutrition.
She was walking along the streets of Haiti when the quake happened. Dr Arns died under debris.
Through Dr. Arns tireless efforts, more than 2 million children are assisted by her project, spreading it over 20 countries. She was once nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.
Dr. Arns also was the founder and national coordinator for the Pastoral Care of the Elderly, both organizations are social action of the National Conference of Bishops of Brasil, CNBB.
She was a fighter, a great human being! The greatest one!
“When I go to communities where the Pastoral da Crianças is present, women hug me as if I was an old friend”. They tell me their lives have been changed by it. They tell me they feel like real doctors. And it makes me happy to know that I have made people happy”.
Dr. Zilda Arns
1935-2010











2 comments:
Ufa!!!
Nao creio! Tu sabes que a familia dela era de uma cidade da regiao de Criciuma? As sobrinahs dela sao minhas amigas.
Sinto muito.
I am sad sad about this news... I am in the Philippines trying to promote the same methodology ... Pastoral Care for Children.
I was with her last year in Brazil.
My Love and prayer to Her.
Post a Comment