September 2, 2009

Traveling, Staying, Missing

I started writing this post in Brasil and I didn't finish it. It's very hard for me to finish things when I'm there. I try to take control of my time, but in a way or another I end up with my To-Do list just the way I left it.

Every single time I go to Brasil, I make the commitment to do every single thing I wanna do and guess what? I don't do it! I don't visit the friends I wanna visit, I don't eat the food I wanna eat, I don't go to manicure/pedicure as often as I wanna go and so on. I neglected even some doctors. I feel as my time doesn't belong to me over there. I never get it!

So, since I'm home now, I'll finish the post below that I've started long ago.

Wow, I don't remember being this long without posting anything.
Well, let me see...

My nephew was born on 21st, one day after my birthday and just like my oldest nephew and my niece, he was born on 21st, but in different month. What is amazing about it, is that my father passed away on 21st and this day, of all months, was a very sad day for me, but now, those beautiful human beings came to cheer this day up. Thanks guys!

My nephew is so so cute! I really mean it! He seduced and seduces everybody around him for real. Everybody says that Márcio, my nephew, was born "already raised" because he seems that he is 3 months old already!

Just to keep things on normal level, I'm sick. I got a flu, but not the swine one, just a normal flu that is letting me lazy and I just want to be in bed in a dark room and in silence. The fever is high, but I'm already medicated. It will be over soon. The annoying about it, it's that here in my hometown, people are going nuts because of the swine flu and nobody can sneeze or cough around anymore. I mean, polite sneezing or coughing with your hand blocking the virus to get out of your mouth. If you initiate a sneeze, people immediately give you a weird look.

I'm staying at my mother's because I don't want my newborn nephew and my sister-in-law to get any sick. You know she is nursing.

Anyway, here in Minas Gerais, my state, there is no winter whatsoever. It's hotter now than Nigeria was and I do mean it. Winter now just means one thing: dry season! Days seem even hotter than 15 years ago when I was living in this town. All that my dilemma about what to pack was a really a waste of time. If I could anticipate such a weather I'd pack much lighter . In this 25 days I'm here, I didn't wear any long sleeve yet, just summer dresses and I'm so very sure I will not wear any.

Well, things are pretty ok over here. I have spent a lot of time with my sweet niece Maria Luíza. In fact we are together as rice and beans. We get along very very well and she is definitely my pal. I love the way she talks and conduce herself. It's a little lady and not just a 6 years old girl. Oh boy, I have a lot to learn from her.

Besides my cold, I'm not spending much time at my brother's simply because I have no practice or skills whatsoever with babies. So, if I can't help I think is better not to disturb. I became the delivery lady though. Everything the ladies in charge of taking care of the babe and Marly, my mother and my sister-in-law Márcia, need they ask me and I'm ready to go... or to come.

My fever is a little higher now. Better take a rest.

My fever lasted about a week. It was a hard time for me because I couldn't even read, but also I had a wonderful nurse who took a good care of me. Thanks Maria Luíza! Yes, my niece was there by my side all the time. One afternoon, she was sweeter than ever and I spent all afternoon long resting my head on her lap. We watched Barbie's movies, cartoons. She made me juice, fed me and overcame me with her caress and love! What a doll!

Maria Luíza and I had a great time. Even though we didn't do almost anything on your list, we did a lot. The time to say goodbye was pretty hard on both of us. I couldn't see her eyes full of tears...oh poor thing. She was trying her best to keep me there at least until her birthday now in September 21st. I wish I could!

From Brasil I went to Paris for about 5 days. It was amazing without being redundant. I guess going to Paris is always a amazing experience. I have been there a couple of times and I don't need map anymore to go where I wanna go. This time I stayed in the Quartier Latin, in front L'Université Paris-Sorbonne. From my window, almost covering it as near it was, there was the majestic dome of its chapel. The Théâtre L'Odéon was just 2 blocks away as the Panthéon and the Jardin du Luxembourg also around the corner.

I had a wonderful time there. As it's summer time almost all small museums and galleries are closed for vacation. French style! So, I spent my time going to bistrots to have a glass of champagne at sunset time, then I take time to walk by the Seine river without any rush. Also I spent a lot of time reading in those little charming cafés where you can stay for hours and nobody will disturb asking you to leave.

I didn't go to any tourist spot this time, besides la Cathédrale Notre Dame. I go there every time I'm in Paris firstly to thank God for such a wonderful life and also to feel the smell of centuries of burnt candles. I love it so much. As soon as I step into it, I close my eyes and I let that very particular smell get into my heart. It takes me back in time in seconds. The smell will always be there, impregnated on those secular walls that have been the silent witness of history. I just love it.

Besides many other places, I also went to Centre Pompidou, but it isn't a touristic stroll for me. It's pleasure and work and a must go. I spent the whole day there looking and appreciating Modern and Contemporaneous Art exhibitions.

I told you, I really had a great time there. I will post pictures soon.
I'm finishing my unpacking task, organizing my closet, my house and my academic life and I'm almost getting over of the jet-leg.

Getting rid of the jet-leg seems easy comparing to the knot I have in my heart for missing my nephews and my niece. Guys, you are so especial to me! I love you with all my life, heart and soul!

2 comments:

Hajar Zamzam Ismail said...

I so love to read your stories about your trips! My goodness, what a sweet little niece you have! Your little nephews too, sound charming. I'm sorry you got sick! I hope you are all better and can enjoy life again.

Anonymous said...

in your post titled " traveling , staying , and missing "

you meant the brazlian word " Saudade " by all means when you said " missing "

you translated it like all who came before you , you translated it into just " missing "

you should have never translated it any way , you sould have written it like this " travelling , staying and Saudade "

no other word in any other language can convey the meanings this word is loaded with in the braslian life , it is so brasil , it is so rice and beans

sinto saudades de você