February 8, 2008

The Year of the Rat

4 comments:

JC said...

According to the Chinese system, my year of birth is the year of the Tiger! Maybe, that's why I like non-veg meal, cooked in the Indian that is 'Hindustani' style, although by birth I am a brahmin - who are jocularly called 'grass eaters' by Non vegs...

The 'Hindus', in a code language perhaps, in conformation with the concept of evolution of species depict the mouse as the vehicle of the elephant-headed Lord Ganesha, therefore, also called 'lambodar' or big-bellied, as the link (functioning like a telephone operator!) between man and God!

(Elephant is believed to have a good memory, while man generally is forgettable...and therefore can't remember his remote past...)

Living Away said...

dear jc...
i was a surprise to me to know that you like non-veg meals!
i googled hindustani food and i got a watering mouth. i'll look for some spices over here to prepare some of those delicious dishes.

is it a gift or a curse not remembering our remote past?

JC said...

Dear Leandra, My parents were vegetarians. We are four brothers and two sisters and 99% of the time we do have veg meals only. Being brought up in a cosmopolitan city when we were young, we boys however got introduced to non-veg food - generally mutton and chicken, and later to fish also. Now only I take it - very rarely though…
Of course, there is a large variety of food preparations in India…it bein the ancient most country – perhaps a sample of world civilization in all aspects of languages, religions, dresses, and so on…
The ‘wise ancients’ believed man ‘an image of God’ who, because of Supreme Knowledge alone, experiences eternal bliss. It is because of ‘my’ not remembering ‘my’ Absolute Past of being God the perfect being that I believe I am imperfect and, therefore, unhappy!

JC said...

Dear Leandra, My parents were vegetarians. We are four brothers and two sisters and 99% of the time we do have veg meals only. Being brought up in a cosmopolitan city when we were young, we boys however got introduced to non-veg food - generally mutton and chicken, and later to fish also. Now only I take it - very rarely though…
Of course, there is a large variety of food preparations in India…it bein the ancient most country – perhaps a sample of world civilization in all aspects of languages, religions, dresses, and so on…
The ‘wise ancients’ believed man ‘an image of God’ who, because of Supreme Knowledge alone, experiences eternal bliss. It is because of ‘my’ not remembering ‘my’ Absolute Past of being God the perfect being that I believe I am imperfect and, therefore, unhappy!