13 years ago
February 8, 2008
Mildewed
Even before I learned how to read, I always had a book with me! I can count on my fingers how many times I left my home without a book into my bag. Once in France, I went to a disco and it was kind of very boring. So i had no doubt I opened my book and I had a great time!
As you know, my name is Leandra but almost everybody calls me "Lê". Lê, in Portuguese, is not just a short for my name or any name started with this two letters, it's also the 3rd conjugation, singular, present tense, of the verb "ler" meaning "to read" en English!
So, some of my friends always do this joke on me, saying that Lê lê!
I guess I have a kind of energy that attracts books and vice-versa. I remember when I was a teenager, the director of the public library of my town, called my mother to complain about me. She said I was spending too much time at the library and that I should go out to get some tan! Well, weird hun?! Since it was a very empty and silence space, maybe I was interrupting her coffee breaks!
I do love books! My books, your books, old books, new books, rare books, silly books, you name it! I guess we both are made from the same material!
Once a Brazilian journalist said that that if Pelé hadn't been born a man, he would have been born a ball! So, I'll paraphrase this journalist saying that if I hadn't been born a woman, I would have been born a book!
So, last Saturday I found out that there is a 24 hours opened bookstore in Taipei. This is a dream for sure! I drove to there and I spent good hours just browsing around. They have many titles in English, a very nice magazine section, a modern cafe and it never closes!
The pity is that I don't live in Taipei! Well I can't complain, if it were here I could be broke easily!
I was enamoring a book at amazon.com and I found it over there even cheaper. It's Akhenaten: Egypt's False Prophet!
I'm having an affair with this book and missing Egypt badly for sure!
Anyhow, this post is not just about my passion for books! No, it is not! Believe me, it's about the weather that is driving me nuts. I really can't stand it anymore! Almost 2 months without a single break, just rain! Days pass and the rain keeps raining!
The humidity here is getting above 90%, it is so humid that even the internal part of the windows are wet! Today I was drying the window of my bedroom again and I noticed that the wall started to get mildewed!
This lack of sunlight is going to mildew myself as well!
In fact, I'm feeling mildewed already just like that book above! Poor us!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)












8 comments:
Leandra, Have you ever asked any knowledgeable palmist to read, like a book,your palm(s) - the graphical record of the instrument that you call 'Me' (the third note of the octave), or 'Le' (La and Les also in French for the definite article 'the' in English)?
no jc i haven't, but surely i would like much!
could you indicate me one please?
Que seja um post sobre o tempo, mas a parte dos livros...eu também sempre fui assim, viciada!
De tal modo adorava as histórias que contavam, que sabia de cor os livros que me liam em criança, a ponto do meu avô se surpreender e pensar que eu já sabia ler aos 4 anos, pois parafraseava tudo o que lá estava escrito! :)
Sem falar que ter um livro na mão, na mala, na mesa de cabeceira (vcs têm outra expressão...criado-mudo, acertei?), é um conforto, uma segurança. Se tenho um livro comigo, sinto-me em casa.
;)
(essa loja parece-me deliciosa)
Espero que o sol desponte em breve por aí!
;)
beijo grande*
Leandra, I don't know Portuguese, therefore I am sorry I couldn't follow the comment by analog girl, the 'graphic designer', like two of my own daughters!
I have taken interest in the 'art' of 'Palmistry' with a view to understanding it as it is related with astronomy. But, I can't claim to be an 'expert'. However, I have felt that the lines and their trends indicate the likely behaviour of the individual.
I can make some rough reading though, if you could send photos of your palm...
And, maybe you would find someone near your residence in Taiwan also...In India, if one is lucky one might find some people who can even read the forehead! God is mysterious!
Best of luck!
I feel for you.
I cant stand rain, it is so annouying but thank God it doesnt rain so much in London.
how long are you staying there?
jo, ja te disse que tenho quase certeza que somos irmas gemeas ne!? rs
voce acertou sim, e criado-mudo. coitado nao fala uma palavra, mas meus livros de cabeceira ficam perfeitos nele. as vezes ha pilhas...
devia ser muito engracadinho voce parafraseando os livros todo mundo orgulho em volta!
a livraria e divina, o unico contratempo e estar em outra cidade...
beijos!
dear jc...
i'll for sure take some pics of my hand and send them to you. thank you so much, i'm feeling very honored! read the forehead? i never heard about that before but i do agree with you that god is mysterious!
btw, analog says that she loved books very much and she pretended reading when she was 4 years old and her grandfather thought that she really knew how to read. very cute!
anglo i don't know what to do anymore, really! i'm feeling myself humid. i checked the weather forecast and there is no chance to see the sun for the next 20 days.
what can i do??
Leandra~ When my youngest daughter, a graphic designer now, first handled pencil and wrote letter 'A', I was surprised to see she had drawn absolutely straight lines - like a mature hand and not a typical child's, as I had observed before that!
I had generally heard that people arrive empty handed and go empty handed from earth. Later, however, I felt that perhaps people forget that everyone is at least not born empty handed - they are born with lines on their palm! And, artists/ draughtsmen/ architects/ bureaucrats etc. get paid for the lines they draw on paper/ canvas!
When I was young, a sadhu (mendicant) who visted our residence and asked for rice and not wheat flour, we generaly offered, saw my face and told me I would become a doctor or a soldier!
But I didn't pursue either of the said professions!
Later, when I was in northeast India, and my father was thousands of Km away at my hometown, a person meeting me for the first time, seeing my face said that someone was having high blood pressure in my family. And, within a fortnight I received a telegram from my brother that father had a heart attack and that he was recovering!
Post a Comment