February 22, 2007

Brazilian Carnaval

"I’m going to kiss you now, please don't take me wrong it's carnaval time!!

This is strophe of a 40 years old carnaval song called “Mascara Negra”, Black Mask, that is played all over Brasil until now making people from all ages, races, faiths and beliefs getting together to celebrate the carnaval’s spirit that beats into our/their hearts strongly according to the compass of the tambours ‘s beats that echo through my beautiful Brasil!

Carnaval is the best 4 days of the year for me and for million of brazilians…well I mean, when I’m dancing and having fun as last year after a huge 10 years fasting.
I love carnaval so much because is as if we were allow to forget about life’s duty, life’s tribulations and problems! Carnaval is time to take a break from who we are daily and be just our fantasy whatever it is! Carnaval is time to celebrate life, joy, love and togetherness! Carnaval is the time to be truth happy with or without any mask on! Carnaval is time to kiss, don’t take me wrong, it's carnaval!!!

I love this democratic party with all my heart. I love the freedom that carnaval gives to all hearts, it’s a time of liberation of frustration, sadness, failure, preconception…Carnaval for me is the supreme celebration of life without any censorship, as it should be lived!

This colorful and loud 4 days party started in Brasil during the 18th century by the Portuguese to mark the period that of lent that is 40 weekdays from Ash Wednesday until Easter observed by Christians as a season of fasting and penitence in preparation for Easter!

Yes, Carnaval is a pagan party in preparation for a religious celebration! It could be said that Carnaval is a kind of pre-tension-reliever!

We have street ‘s carnaval in Brasil from North to South! There are some variations of it that is noted in the song’s composition, as through melody, harmony, rhythm, and timbre of it. Some places have very old and traditional songs that are passed from generation to generation; another places have new songs every single year with simple lyrics to keep stuck in our minds at least for 1 week. Also the costumes change from state to state. Usually we go to streets to dance carnaval wearing summer clothes as shorts, mini-skirts and tops. Some people wear costumes and/or masks going deeply in their imagination to find an exclusive one.

I found some pics that may illustrate this beautiful and popular festivity all over Brasil that you can see them in the end of this post!

I love street’s carnaval! I start dancing around 8 PM and I just go home around 7 or 8 AM and I keep dancing almost without stopping!
When I heard the first accord my heart just goes crazy and my hips don’t lie, I need to keep moving them until the last accord is played.

Carnaval is the invention of devil that God blessed says another old song and I do agree with it. 4 million people getting together in just one city having the same goal what is having fun must be blessed!!
To understand it, it’s necessary to go to Brasil... Seeing families, friends, lovers, anonymous and unknown people getting together with a huge smile on their faces singing and just being happy is something inexplicable.

I'm trying to write this simple post since last Friday when carnaval started and tonight, last day of carnaval, I'm still stuck because I can’t find the exact words to describe just an emotion, such a party, and such happiness!

Well, i didn't find the words because there are no words capable to translate razilian Carnaval and no words whatsoever to translate my heart’s feelings when I’m there in the middle of the crowd celebrating this wonderful life that God gave me!

God, thank you so much for allow me to be born in this beautiful, happy, loud, colorful, bright and alive country called Brasil!




Samba School Beija-Flor, 2007 Champion of Rio de Janeiro's Carnaval

Samba School Beija-Flor, 2007 Champion of Rio de Janeiro's Carnaval

Samba School Beija-Flor, 2007 Champion of Rio de Janeiro's Carnaval

Street's Carnaval, Salvador, Bahia's state

Street's Carnaval, Recife, Pernambuco's state

Street's Carnaval, Salvador, Bahia's state

Group "Filhos de Gandhi", sons of Gandhi, Salvador, Bahia's state

Group "Filhos de Gandhi", sons of Gandhi, Salvador, Bahia's state

Dolls of Olinda, Perambuco's state

Maracatu, Recife, Pernambuco's state
Group of Baianas, Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro's state

Group of Baianas, Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro's state

9 comments:

Anglo-Libyan said...

Thank you for the extra information about the world famous Brazilian carnival, fatastic pictures too and I must admit that I always admire your pride of your counry Brazil, I hope to be able to feel the same about Libya one day, when it is a free democratic and safe country.

Living Away said...

dear anglo...
thank you so much!!
i'm very proud of brasil for sure!
we have tons of problems, but also we have good, smart and not expensive solutions!
for example, did you know that since the 80s we have a alternative fuel for gasoline?
you are from a beautiful country anglo and one day for sure i'll be there!
did you know that brasil was under dictatorship and censorship for many years an we brazilians got its and our freedom back no more than 18 years ago?
many people went to exile, many died fighting for their beliefs and today we can talk freely thanked to those anonymous who offered their lives in the name of liberty!
i'm noticing youa little down anglo... i hope everything is fine!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the great tour, i enjoyed it, and really it's great to know alot about the carnaval which we only hear about in the news.
NICE PICTURES :)
thank you Leandra

Baraka said...

Extraordinary! Thank you for sharing your experiences with us! :)

Living Away said...

welcome ema!!
thank you o much for your nice words. my mom just went one night this year because she got a flu, but my brother and their kids had a lot of fun!

thank you for stopping by baraka! next year i'll do my best to be there again and again and again...

Anonymous said...

Thanks Leandra for sharing colourful pictures of the Carnaval from a view-point other than the publicised one in the media!

Is 'Sons of Gandhi' derived from MK Gandhi that is Mahatma Gandhi the Father of our Nation, India?

Living Away said...

jc, yes! sons of gandhi was founded in 1949, originally formed to honor mahatma gandhi! it's the most respected group of brasil, having more than 4000 men actually!
sons of gandhi is not just a carnaval group, as you can see in this link with more details.
http://www.africaresource.com/ijele/vol2.1/boycedavies.html

carnaval in brasil is a very rich cultural manifestation, but unfortunately the media just uses the image what suits its best interest!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Leandra! There is a lot of information on the background of the formation of the group, much of which I couldn't understand! But I think I could visualize to a certain extent the ancient Indian thought of earth as the Supreme Form of Krishna (meaning black)as the root of human civilization (at the believable beginning of Creation) is linked with the believable present root of Homo sapiens lying in Africa through Gandhi!

Anonymous said...

The Bahia State in Brazil to my mind brought a Sanskrit word, Bahya, which means external (perhaps meaning foreigner) and also a coolie (to lift load). It is well known that many people went to distant lands to work in farms, temples, mines, etc. I had a class fellow from Trinidad whose father hailed from some place in Uttar Pradesh and worked as a priest in some temple there.

Interestingly, after a glance at the World Atlas, I find Bahia Laura, B Grande & B Blanca in Argentina; B de Caracquez in Ecuador; and B Negra in Paraguay too! Perhaps some connection with ancient India!