January 2, 2007

Brazilian Dreamers

President Lula
"Lula sworn in President for second term!"
This was the first news I heard yesterday and there is no better news to start a year besides this one: Lula sworn in President for second term!!
Of course I couldn’t hold my tears, seeing around 10 thousand people going to streets under a heavy rain to prestige Lula one again. This is very touching, and I’d wish I could be there to join the crowd.

Long life to Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva!

God bless you and keep you focus on your own cause:
Brasil!




Besides that great emotion, my January first was spent in my pajamas. I love to stay at home, in a rainy day as today, in my pajamas. It’s sooooooooo comfy!!! Those flannel pajamas from Victoria Secrets are beyond cozy!
So, I jumped on my bed with a huge bawl of popcorn and a book about a Brazilian guy that unfortunately some part of the world doesn’t recognize/know he as much as he deserves.






Santos Dumont

He is Alberto Santos Dumont, the inventor of the airplane! The First man to fly! Santos Dumont did it, in Paris, with a lot of witness and with everything very well documented! He moved to Paris after his father passed away, letting him a great fortune to purse his dream: fly!



14 Bis, first to fly!

The Brazilian, became known in Paris as Petit Dumont! He became a popular figure for using his dirigible daily as his alternative locomotion object, going to restaurants, operas and so on, on it!

Alberto Santos Dumont, designed, constructed and tested at least 20 different kinds of dirigible or airship. This number alone makes him the most productive inventor of all times, above even Leonardo Da Vinci. In addition, he was the first pilot ever with a license to fly hot air balloons, airships, biplanes and monoplanes.

This great guy also invented the wristwatch, having “The Santos” recognized as the first true Cartier wristwatch, and named after him.

Santos Dumont was a passionate, creative, benevolent, and audacious man. When he saw planes dropping bombs he slipped into a deep depression. He always knew that airplanes would be used to carry troops, but not to kill people. In July 1932 he committed suicide!





I have a deep admiration for those 2 "Brasileiros", Brazilian men, Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva and Alberto Santos Dumont! They are much more than dreamers… they are tireless fighters that achieved their dreams without ever think about giving them up!

I have a lot to learn with them and start flying again…

2 comments:

Anglo-Libyan said...

lets hope 2007 is a good year for Brazil and thank you for the information about Santos Dumont, very interesting.

Living Away said...

Dear Anglo...

I hope that your words turn out to be blessed words!

Santos Dumont was a very sensitive guy and last night reading his book I found out that he won a Deutsche price for departing from one point and arriving at the same point, doing a loop around the Eiffel tower in 30 minutes and he gave all the money to the police of France to distribute it with the poor people.