November 12, 2006

Mulhouse, de nouveau!


Downtown

Sahara restaurant Window's display

I went to France this morning but I didn't do anything I was thinking about. I was near Mulhouse, where I go to do some grocery shopping and I decided to stroll a little in the city since I got there early and I had plenty of time before going to Carrefour. As I never went to the city, I took the chance!

Well, it wasn't the day of my dream. It was raining and very cold over there and the streets were empty! Almost all the stores were closed and it was hard to find a kiosk to buy some magazines. I found at least one opened place! I can miss a trip to France and get out of there with bare hands, magazine speaking. I love the variety of Art magazines specially the ones about Contemporaneous Art!

Anyway, when I was paying a man just asked for a lottery ticket and I got my hand itching for it! The first time ever. I also got the same ticket to myself as did that man and it was a golden lottery ticket!! Heheheheh I won 4 euros!! First time ever! It was exactly the amount I paid for the parking! What a luck woman I'm!

At the kiosk, I asked why everything was closed and I was informed that today was national holiday in France. It was Armistice Day, the official anniversary of the end of World War I! One more holiday I had no idea about it existence!

So, I was walking on the rain and only Arabs shops and restaurants were opened and I found a restaurant called Sahara. Of course I chose it to eat since I have a huge passion for Sahara and everything related to it. I was so lucky that it was the only one that was closed!! Sniff sniff!

I kept walking and looking around and I found Globe, a huge 4 floors store. it was opened and I stayed there for long time! I got some veterinary stationary for my sister-in-law, some very cute greeting cards to send to some special friends and cute things to my beloved niece.
I didn’t know if I mention…

I’m going to Brasil on November 23rd and I’ll spend an entire month there. A lot of things to do are already planned! I’ll have a wonderful time again with all my friends and relatives, Inshallah!
It is summer time over there and besides the sun shining all day long what really makes me very happy, it is a time for musical open-air shows, new releases for theater and cinemas, and I can get all my friends there because it won’t be school vacation yet. Also there is the 27th Biennale of Art of São Paulo and I’m managing to go. There is a huge possibility of a longtime friend pick me up at the airport and we could spend a day in São Paulo. There is no way of going wrong with him, because he rocks! Thanks Gino for all agenda arrangements you are doing to meet me!

Coming back to France…yes, I had a predicable succulent quiche Lorraine for lunch at Globe and then I drove back home.
Of course those “gentle” officers stopped me at the frontier, but this time, thank to Armistice Day I was liberated fast.



Main square at old downtown



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

post card pictures, so nice.
I didnt know that its a national holiday in France, its not in the UK.

Living Away said...

Well, it makes too of us!! :)
I got Carrefour closed, but I'm now a lottery winner!! hehehe
I forgot my camera and because that I took the pictures with a cell phone. Could be a lot better!!

Analog Girl said...

A cidade é linda! Às vezes quando saímos da rotina e descobrimos novos caminhos, parece que a vida nos sorri mais ainda...e a sorte também, pelos vistos! ;)
Beijo grande**

Living Away said...

Analog, eu adoro andar por caminhos nao caminhados pelos turistas ou pelos guias turisticos.
Tambem adoro me perder por ruelas e becos. Foi me perdendo que eu tomei um otimo cafe com uma linda senhora em Lisboa!
Adoro as surpresas quando saio do previsivel!

Beijos