October 10, 2006

Lessons I Have Learned in My 15 Minutes of Fame!

Lessons I Have Learned in My 15 Minutes of Fame!

This is a title of a paper published at New York Times, by the survivor Joe Sharkey
on October 10th 2006, where he says very clearly that the lesson he learned after a private executive jet which he was in hit a commercial Brazilian airplane in Brasil on September 29th, was: “…you are an idiot if you travel internationally without a cell phone that will actually work internationally”

Yeah, doesn’t matter if 154 people are death! Doesn’t matter if hundreds of sons and daughters are orphans, doesn’t matter that the plane he was in was in a wrong sky route causing all this tragic.

No, nothing matters of course!! How can I be so naïve thinking that the death of 154 people could be more important than this valuable lesson??

Thank you so much for this elucidative article!
Please guys, don’t forget to change your cell phone if you don’t have an international one. This is a lesson to be learned because we don’t know when we were gonna need it.
Maybe your plane hit another plane and you will be blessed enough to be able to use your pretty new international cell phone to call your beloved family to say that fortunately you are alive and… Could you imagine what a huge tragic moment in people's life if you have just a normal cell phone? Oh God!!!

This is all this guy is sorry for?? The only lesson he learned after being a SURVIVOR is that he needs to travel with an international cell phone?
As a relative of one of the victims said yesterday on Brazilian TV, if it were completely the opposite way, I mean, a private jet with all the crew and passengers being Brazilians, flying in a wrong sky route had hit an American Airlines plane and all people inside it were death now, those guys would be in prison and called terrorists by almost all the world.

But... as it was the opposite way, he has this right to write this sheet article at New York Times.

Come Leandra, don't be that sensitive??!! What the heck?? They were just 154 third world people who have, had, no importance whatsoever in this world. And besides, who will care for third world people's life anyway!

I'm happy that Mr. Joe Sharkey is alive and that he keeps doing his job and living a normal life. Also I’m glad that he is able to play with his kids if he has some, or kiss his lover or hug his friends or talk to his parents and relatives after being an airplane crash survivor.

In Brasil right now there is some kids suffering because they cannot play with their fathers, women and men missing their lovers, thousands of friends crying the missing of their friends, parents and relatives with their hearts in pain because they lost they beloved ones...

Maybe among those two major lessons he learned after six others, he could find some space for lessons like respecting people’s pain, or being thankful for being a survivor instead of being sorry for not having an international cell phone!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leandra, I sympathise with the relatives of the victims of the freak accident in the sky over the Amazonian jungles…Your outburst is natural because you yourself are a Brazilian…

You will perhaps agree that it is, however, a cold fact, or the ‘Truth’, that one gets to read/ hear / watch day after day, after day, about ‘natural’ or ‘man-made’ accidents in some one part of the world or another resulting in deaths of a large numbers of humans irrespective of their faiths/ beliefs - absolutely detachedly, unless some known person or, and more intensely, if a ‘blood relation’ of one is apparently involved in one of those…

Maybe, the thought as you expect from an ‘American’ could only come to one and all if the concept of “Universal Brotherhood” is realized in whatever way…maybe if all accept the ancient realization of the common origin of at least all humans – Adam & Eve, Siva-Parvati, and so on…

The Hindu thoughts’, recorded in Gita, say that all wrong actions (and therefore the related thoughts) are due to lack of knowledge…

May God bless the souls of the victims!

Anonymous said...

It's amazing some of the things that people think even after tragic events. It just goes to show the shallowness and insensitivity of some people. It's a shame for sure.

Aisha said...

Leandra. When I read how upset you were I read the article to see what it was about and now I am so angry and sick to my stomach.

JC Joshi, I am not Braislian but I am angry and my outburst at this is not as a Brasilian but as a human being.

I read his article and it seemed so "matter of fact" and quite self centered as though this is all about him. I heard nothing about the thoughts of how he feels about the fact that the plane he was in has killed so many lives. How maybe the lesson he learned is the value of life, the precariousness of it, grief for the lives of those who died.

Im sure he would not have written such an article if he ran out of the Worl Trade CEnter after 9/11 with that being the only lesson he learned.

Leandra, I know you're upset but dont let it get to you too much. There are jerks all the world over. Fretting over it too much will only hurt you. People like him on't care. Thanks for bringing attention to it,and also, you might want to write hiim or the magazine and let them know how you feel. Maybe just cut and paste this and send it. Maybe he can realize.

Anonymous said...

Aisha, yes of course one gets angered, but that only helps if the other is amenable to discipline! Even from certain incidents, viz. school students shooting other students in their schools, etc. being reported from time to time, one can see how all ‘Americans’, right after their birth, are taught to be “trigger happy”. Even when they grow up, they believe that all solutions can be reached through the barrel of gun only... In India, an ancient civilizatin that has 'tolerated' a variety of faiths and beliefs, there is a saying, literally, “The buffalo belongs to the one who has the stick”…

As a young boy I have seen many films on the foundation of America – how adventurers and physically strong, gun wielding men, originally arrived in a difficult though virgin land that hid in its bowels precious metals, including luckily the ‘black gold’, to be exploited by the physically strong…

It is said that if God gives brawns to someone he holds back brains, and vice versa…From the very beginning, the pragmatic ‘rich and famous’ in their selfish interest buy ‘brains’ and other poor ‘brawns’ wherever they are available…There was a queen poet in India, in an attempt to communicate the funny ways of God, said to the effect, “Fools get the throne, whereas, the literates remain beggars…”

Karen said...

Concordo 100% com voce Leandra. Que horror ele é. Self centred to a point I didn't even think possible.

Living Away said...

sorry everybody!
i got a very strong flu and i'm feeling very tired. as soon as i get in shape i'll comment the comments.

Living Away said...

Dear friends,
I'm so sorry for my delay in comment your comments.

JC Joshi, one thing that I really like about me is that I can separate my feelings from my link with people, places, things, etc…this crash really shocked me firstly because I’m really afraid to fly and I do that very often. I use to say that I enter into an airplane as passenger and I get out as survivor as huge is my fear. Secondly because I really suffer with all those tragedies around the world as it has happened to someone from my family!
I really can’t stand a cold heart, even thought I do respect people personality and way of living. But a cold heart it too much for me!
I’m really against any kind of violence and you were talking about guns… I have a nephew who was crazy to get some guns, toy, as gift. I talked to him and to all of his friends who had this stupidly toy and I was very satisfied when I saw the kids, they were about 5 this time, throwing them into a trashcan.

Dear Nova, thanks for coming back. I agree with you about how insensitivity this journalist talked about this terrible accident. I miss you!

Thanks for your visit UmmAminah!

Dear Aisha, thank you so much for all your support! I sent this post to all e-mails I found out at New York Times website, but I didn’t get any answer. Well, I got one automatically stander answer!

Karen, I got so disappointed when I read the article that I had no reaction for like 1 hour or so. I couldn’t believe that someone could be this cold and this selfish!