October 26, 2006

Beauty

Dove Evolution



When are we going to find real beauty in real person, I wonder?

I have a very particular way of seeing beauty what makes my family argue with me all the time. I don't like anything regarding to it that is accepted to almost everybody without giving any thought about it. I mean, usually people swallow what the media in general elected as beauty and buy it as being their personal choices.

I don’t remember being into that since I could decide by myself what to wear back there when I was little child. I have my own beauty concept what is far away from this consensus of beauty that we see every day on TV, magazines and store’s windows and that is glued into people’s mind strongly!

Anyhow, in a philosophical way we got to a point that we don't know what we see and how we see it, since everything in a material plan is so visible.
As Georges Didi-Huberman, professor of the École des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales in Paris says that "... visual representation has an “underside” in which seemingly intelligible forms lose their clarity and defy rational understanding."
This statement is so clear to me now since images have a strong effect in our lives those days! This Dove video is a simple example of how we have lost the clarity of seeing things the way they really are and how our vision is sending fake messages for our brain which, consequentially, has transformed our daily lives!


My fear is about the homogenization of the world's culture through the standart of the beauty conception divulged by international media! I do fear it because for me nothing is more important and more beautiful than the differences in all sense of it!
It is very noble from Dove to start a movement calling our attention to what really beauty is, undependable of its economical interests!

What are we trying to make up when we look and we don’t see or when we don’t look and we see!?!?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

“Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder.” And, “Handsome is that handsome does.”

‘Scientists’ inform us that our brain is an analogous computer, a marvelous instrument that receives data through different sense organs, which after analysis of the overall information generates an integrated perception of the event in the mind of the individual concerned (depending on her status of evolution). For example, the word ‘cat’ immediately brings to our mind a picture of an animal, with pointed ears and whiskers, that meows, i.e., it utters a typical sound that is associated with it alone! And so on, many more characteristics related with the animal based on personal experience/ knowledge gathered from different sources depending on the levels of interest of the individuals concerned in different aspects in the life of the animal … The ‘Nature’ is thus built up of innumerable components, perhaps as per a grand design of a Super being, and delving into infinite depth of each of those is found impossible for humans during one life span and therefore the apparent superficiality in human life! And, hence the need felt “to read between the lines” or “draw the essence”…which the ancient Hindus concluded merely as illusion – one Formless Super being within His pinhead going through His past events of successes and failures in His paths in different forms/ ‘images’ to achieve ‘perfection!

Best wishes!

Living Away said...

I do agree with you dear JC, but I'm very upset with importance that people, in general, is giving to beauty! The way the concept of beauty is being propagated, make me think that in few years any particular ethnics beauty will be banned for not being accept by society and that really makes me very angry!
I could be exaggerating, but it really scary me!
I have a 4 years old niece that have a beautiful curled hair, but she is getting crazy to have a straight hair because she saw on TV that straight hair is more beautiful than curled one. Also I read in a blog last night about skin bleaching cream that is very common in an Arab world. I didn’t know such a thing existed!
I even don’t know how to deal with such an impact that beauty propaganda and/or celebrity’s magazines have on us! I really don’t know!

Anonymous said...

Dear Leandra, apparently every normal individual forms her own firm impressions about life based on her place of birth and family background; personal experience in different environments; education in school and college or through travel to different places - if given the opportunity; and so on, as one matures. And, on top of it, it depends on one’s interests or leanings and also obviously on one’s own personal capacity …Thus, there exists a variety of human behaviours in different field of human activity based on cumulative knowledge one has apparently gathered till a particular point of time, which apparently, unfortunately or perhaps naturally, is a hierarchical phenomenon! Therefore, unless one is conscious of it, one might believe in certain behaviours only as acceptable, and expects the same from others too, who unfortunately might have been trained to believe opposite/ different from it! And therefore the ‘war on the minds’ of people located at different parts of the world at any given time!

Ancient Hindus believed that earth is a market where only lies are sold!