September 25, 2006

Baden

Today I went to a walk in downtown Baden and as usual I took some pictures. Baden is an old town, around 2000 years, that holds narrow streets with its steep, making a very picturesque place to stroll around it.
Baden is a town (Stadt) in the Swiss Canton of Aargau, on the left bank of the river Limmat and it is about 22 km of Zurich.
My pleasant walk started along the bank of the Limmat and then I went through the old downtown and spa area. it is a very touristic area, built in a rich Belle Époque architecture that is the height of dignified elegance, and is worth exploring in itself.


Baden has nineteen springs that were well known to the Romans, who called the place Aquae Helveticae and built a lavish baths complex to exploit the hot water, a million liters of which emerges every day at a toasty 47°C, having spent the last 30,000 years rising from 3km down.
Of course everything is very expensive in those spas. I'm a massage lover and I checked the price for a relaxing 20 minutes massage in one of the hotels and I can say that it stressed me!
So, I'm looking forward to get my relaxation in Brasil. In November I’m going to spend 1 month there and I’ll enjoy 1 hour massage from less than 1/4 of the price here.

Anyway... Baden is a very atractive town and my walking helped a lot to take away the boredom I woke up with. Today was one of those days that even the mirror doesn't want you to look at it. But taking myself to a walk was great after all.



I didn't take this pic today as you can see by the brightness of the sky.










2 comments:

Analog Girl said...

Na minha opinião, um tranquilo passeio a pé cura quase todos os males. Já me aconteceu andar à chuva e adorar, pelo simples facto de estar a caminhar, sem stresse nem horas para chegar...
Já vi que também resulta consigo! :)
Beijo para vc**

Living Away said...

I do agree with you and I think that the water has the power to wash away almost all kinds of unavoidable worries and sad moments you pass along life. Also I do like to walk under the rain. I think it’s a nostalgic moment for me. I used to spend my vacations on my grandma's farmer and in a raining day I used to sing "raindrops keep falling on my head" riding my bike...