One of the beautiful doors of he Mosque
Detail of the wall
I was fascinated with it and I could spend hours and hours there, just looking at the world of arts.
I was born in a small town and I don’t remember going to exhibitions there. It had, better, has a small and not so active public library and that’s it.
Well, I did not know why a specific picture from my album was so important to me and until now, 34 years later, I still don’t know but I'm getting tons of clues and I'll go somewhere soon.
In fact, I loved all the pictures, or the stickers, even though they were not stickers. Anyway… I loved all of them, but one day I went to the store to buy a brandy new envelope of pictures. I got 2 of them. I opened and they were the same. The same pictures!! I got so frustrated and went home.
Well, this special image was about 10x7 cm, 4x3 inches. It was folded in half. I opened it again, and I looked at it. It got my attention so badly that I could not take my eyes out of it for long time. It was colorful, vibrant, and had something special, very special. Unfortunately or fortunately the album had no information about the pictures, and we just knew where to glue them because of the number on the back of the pictures.
Orange's garden of the Mosque
Almost there. Preparing to enter inside de Mosque
One day my father entered in my room, and asked me why I was so fascinated with that specific picture and I replied saying that I had no idea, but one day I would find out about it.
So, as I didn’t get any information about it, I decided that I never would know something related to that building. Never!
The time has passed, I grew up and I went to college and I never said to somebody how important that picture was to me. That picture was just in my mind and in my album. I could not look at it anymore, because all my childhood stuff was destroyed by years and years of raining days. All the pictures I drew in kindgarden… everything…
Before I started my studies in arts and art history, I went to law school. In Brazil we have a education system more likely the European systems. So, I quitted law school just one year before my graduation. Brave or crazy? Definitely, brave! I quitted and I started, finally, to study what I love, which is art history.
One day, in my art history class, I was kind of distracted when I looked at the slides the professor was working on and I saw the picture of my life, that enigmatic building. I screamed like the craziest person on earth. Stoppppp!!! My professor and my colleagues got very up set. They turned the light on; I asked the professor if she could talk to me out side. Thank God we were friends. I told her everything about it and she respected my decision to not know anything about it. That was great, my secret was preserved.
I have no idea how my heart is still working
Time went by, I moved to the United State and I transferred my courses to there. Do you believe that the same thing happened there? I almost found out something about the building! I was so ashamed to scream stop again, but i did anyway! I did, and my professor was wonderful with me also. I was safe one more time!
But, secrets are not forever and I don’t know if it is good or not.
I went to Spain for the holidays and I spent 1 week in Andalusia. I was in Malaga, thinking about going or not to the house where Picasso was born, since I'm not a huge fan, and I saw a post card, exactly exactly as my picture back there. Exactly!!!
I was in front of Picasso’s Museum. I walked directly to the picture and I heard: It is beautiful, hum?! It is the Mosque of Cordoba and we are going there tomorrow.
Whattttttttttt???? I’m going there tomorrowwww!! I screammed loud to myself! I did not say a word, I just cried. I didn’t cry like a crazy emotional, sensitive woman as I really am. My cry was a mix of happiness and sadness all together. I always wanted to go to this place, always. But now I realized that I was so poor that I blocked all my traveling dreams just to not be more frustrated and I cried for everything I blocked in my heart, in my soul.
So, I looked for a coffee shop, I went to the restroom, I looked at the mirror and I cried hard. I knew what was waiting for me. I knew it!!
A revolution has begun into my heart, into my soul, into my mind and into my body since I went to France, specifically to Besançon to study French, last year. It is a painful and silent revolution, but a knowing one. I forgot when I got lost from myself and I got tired of that boring and cold Leandra that assumed my real place. So, it is just old friend returning home for good.
And what Besançon has to do with all of that? There, I realized my dream to live in a university's dorm and I was by myself again and I loved it, with tons of conscience guilty, but I loved it. And also and more important, there I met some people who became very, very
significantive to me. They are so important that I could not imagine my life away from them anymore. All my life I have been fascinated for everything from Arab world. Please, don’t ask me why, because I have no idea. I love the music, the food, the landscape, the people, the culture, the tongue, the problems, etc…those people I met there are from one of the most mysterious Arab World.
Well, after cry my eyes out in a very impersonal coffee shop restroom, I recomposed myself and I enjoyed Malaga. I did!! I did not thinka bout the "tomorrow"!
Another day, I went to Cordoba. My heart was completely out of control. When I saw the walls of that building, I stopped talking and I’m talkative person. Do you know what happened? It was closed that day. One more day, I forced myself to think that I did not know what was waiting for me...
Next morning I went there. I went in there!! Oh my God... I'm crying right now…I cannot described what I felt when I looked at those beiges and reds arches of the Mosque of Cordoba. I was into my dream and I felt that I was into my true me. I cried, I cried and I cried. I sat on the floor and I cried… I could not do anything else.
Finally I was there!! I was there… a very strong feeling that I cannot and I don't know how to describe it started in a heart of that little girl who is a grew up women now, who still is that little girl.
This is exactly the picture I felt in love when I was a little girl
















6 comments:
Lovely - thanks!!!!
Leandra!!! I love your post! It is so incredible all your life you was fascinated by that picture! IT is as if your unconscious KNEW that place, as if You was there before!!! Who knows; you might have been a spanish muslim in Córdoba centuries ago;) I am happy you found that place finally.It is really beutiful, My dh loved it when I took him, But it is very upseting what they are doing with it, you know the owners are the Catholic CHurch, and they are building things inside as you probably saw, like to make it look more as a church,what it is now. If muslims who go visiting try to stop and pray a rakah (one praying part), security guards come and take you away. It is sad, that such a great building lost its original porpuse not for lack of muslims wanting to pray there, but because of other people's interest! I'm glad you had a great time there, by the way you have taken great pictures!!!
MAY PEACE BE UPON YOUR SOUL, HEART, MIND, AND BODY...AMEN.
BY ALLAH, I LOVE YOU SISTER...
MAY YOUR LIFE BE FULL OF PEACE AND TRANQUILITY, THAT WILL LEAD YOU TO YOUR BEAUTIFUL ABODE (heaven)...AMEN.
What a beautiful story!
Thank you for sharing it, you are a brave woman.
I'm so happy you finally found what you were looking for after all those years.
Thank you for sharing your story with us.
Have a great time in Brazil!
Excellent, love it! »
Post a Comment